Accommodation

Believed to date from 1686 with 18th,19th , and now 21st century additions, the Grange is a beautiful example of the archetypal country house. This house is a gem with its light, airy rooms, large sash windows and high ceilings. Steeped in history, the property was occupied by the Wickham family from 1686 until 1897 with many members of the family holding the position of rector of Horsington parish. The family crest is displayed on the north wall of the house. Once ownership passed out of the Wickham family, the Grange remained a private house until purchased by the present owner in 2009. An extensive refurbishment was carried out to create a comfortable and stylish house, and at the time of writing it is being further enhanced by the addition of a large conservatory.

Ground Floor

The main reception rooms lead off the entrance hall with its beautiful stone flagged floor. To the left is the morning room with its three tall sash windows overlooking the gardens and flooding the room with light. A door leads through to the snug with an open fire, and a view of the south facing terrace and gardens. Leading off the hall is the sitting room with pine floors and an open fire. Adjoining it is the large, book lined dining room with its extensive library for research or casual browsing, and french windows giving onto the drive and front gardens. The large farmhouse kitchen, which has been recently extended to include a glass roofed dining area, is ideal for guests to gather, eat and chat. It contains a four oven Aga set into a beautiful stone fireplace. To complement the Aga there is a separate electric oven and induction hob. Cupboards and work surfaces line the walls and a central island contains the sink. There is also a good sized walk-in larder, and a separate utility and boot room leading to the back door. The Grange has large cellars now used as games rooms containing a three quarter size snooker table, darts board and table tennis table.

First Floor

A beautiful wooden staircase leads up to the first floor which contains four large bedrooms all with ensuite bathrooms. Each has a lovely views of the garden and surrounding countryside. The master suite is bright and airy with its own magnificent bath and shower. 

Second Floor

On the second floor are four further large bedrooms and two bathrooms, and a playroom is planned for 2015.  These rooms have lower ceilings with exposed beams giving a more intimate feel with extensive views across the magnificent Blackmore Vale.

The Dovecote

Attached to the medieval dovecote is a two-bedroom, self contained cottage. In previous times this was the home of the groom but now has been converted to sleep four people in two double bedrooms with a shared bathroom. The spacious family room contains comfortable sofas, a dining area and a wood burning stove for cold winter days. The modern, well-equipped kitchen looks out over the courtyard towards the main house.