Horsington is a parish of about 3,500 acres and is situated on a stream flowing down from Charlton Hill. At the centre of the village is the Norman church and "The Half Moon", a traditional English village pub which offers a range of real ales and good food in a homely setting. The pub also has ten rooms providing bed and breakfast.
The name Horsington is probably derived from the tun (a settlement enclosed in a rampart or stockade) of the horsekeepers or grooms. In the Domesday Book it was known as Horstentone and in the Pipe roll of 1179 as Horsinton.
Long before this the Romans settled in Horsington choosing it because the area is so fertile. Nothing now remains to prove Horsington was actually a centre of population, but two Roman coins found at South Cheriton indicate that it may have been.
The first written description of the village is in the Domesday book, where it’s described as: "the arable is 10 carucates. The demese is 1 carucate and 4 servants, 12 villeins, 10 bordars, 12 cottagers with 7 ploughs and a half. There is a mill of 42d rent and 100 acres of meadow. Pasture 6 furlongs broad. When he received it (William Fitz- Odo, after the Conquest) it was worth £815s, now as much."